Summit Technology Academy / Missouri Innovation Campus scheduled to open in August 2017
The site of the new Summit Technology Academy / Missouri Innovation Campus is a busy construction area as work continues on this new Lee’s Summit R-7 school. The new facility is scheduled to open in August 2017 and is funded thanks to a 2015 no-tax-increase bond issue.
The $40 million bond issue, approved by close to 80 percent of Lee’s Summit R-7 voters, is funding the new Summit Tech / MIC as well as facility improvements at each R-7 school. Construction on the new school began in March with a community groundbreaking ceremony. The majority of the school improvements are taking place during the summer months. All projects are currently within budget and on schedule.
The school improvements are in the areas of classroom instruction, safety and security, health and wellness, ADA access renovations and special education as well as maintenance projects designed to protect the district’s investment in its schools. Also included are playground safety upgrades for all elementary schools’ soft play areas and replacement of deteriorated play equipment.
The new Summit Technology Academy / Missouri Innovation Campus is located on 15 acres near Ward and Tudor Road. Thanks to a partnership with the University of Central Missouri (UCM), the school district and university will construct and operate a cost-saving shared facility. Under the plan, R-7 is paying approximately 40 percent of the new school with UCM paying the remaining 60 percent. Based on an agreement between the two organizations, Lee’s Summit R-7 will be the sole owner of the facility which will house Summit Tech / Missouri Innovation Campus as well as UCM programs currently located in the UCM Summit Center Campus. UCM is paying its portion through a rental agreement.
The shared facility will reduce operating expenses for the R-7 School District, allowing the district to move Summit Tech / MIC from leased space into a building owned by the school district. It is anticipated that due to increased rental costs resulting from the expiration of a long-running tax abatement, Lee’s Summit R-7 will save approximately $9 million over the next 20 years by construction of the new facility.
For more information and additional photos related to the bond projects, visit the district’s website.