Lee’s Summit R-7 School District families may request transfers from one R-7 secondary school to the other. The deadline to request a transfer is the last business day in January each year. Families are encouraged to make their requests as early as possible.
High school transfer requests are only granted under “exceptional circumstances”, according to R-7 School District Board of Education policy. Reasons for allowed transfers include family moves; requests from outside agencies; family hardships; accessibility to special education programs or other special programs; psychological, emotional, or social needs; accommodating graduating seniors; or administrative placement. Detailed descriptions of each reason are attached to the high school transfer request application at the secondary schools. Transfers are approved when an exceptional circumstance is met and the desired school is not over building capacity and staffing allocations can accommodate additional students.
Families should be aware that the Missouri State High School Activities Association’s regulations may restrict students on a voluntary high school transfer from participating in interscholastic activities. Copies of the state activities guidelines are available at secondary schools.
If you have questions about high school transfers, please call any R-7 high school or the R-7 School District Administrative Office at 986-1019.
Transfers from one middle school to another middle school do not need to meet the exceptional circumstances required for high school transfers. Despite the more open middle school transfer guidelines, families of middle school students wanting to transfer to another school still need to submit a transfer request form and meet the deadline of the last business day in January. A transfer approval at the middle school level does not guarantee a transfer approval at the high school level.
Families new to the R-7 School District may apply for transfers upon enrollment in the school district.
A decision on transfer requests will be made by the end of March 2011 and parents will be contacted through the mail.
If you have questions about middle school transfers, please call any R-7 middle school or the R-7 School District Administrative Office at 816-986-1019.
The majority of elementary students in the Lee’s Summit R-7 School District attend the school within their home attendance area. However, there are reasons families may request to transfer their child to another school. The guidelines related to Board Policy JCB should be considered at the time of submission of an R-7 Elementary School Intradistrict Transfer and for these reasons only may be approved.
· It will be necessary to close school buildings to transfers where staffing, grade level, and/or student enrollment factors meet or exceed capacity.
· If approved, transportation to school is the responsibility of the parent/guardian when transportation is necessary outside the boundaries of the school the student will be attending.
· Absences that meet or exceed 25 days can result in revoking a child’s transfer status.
· Occurrences of late arrivals and/or early departures that meet or exceed 15 in a semester can result in revoking a child’s transfer status.
· If approved, transfers will be granted for one school calendar year at a time.
· Parent(s)/guardian(s) must make requests for transfer each year for each student of whom an intradistrict transfer is sought.
· Building administrative signatures must be obtained prior to consideration/decision from the Assistant Superintendent of Elementary Instruction.
· Parent(s)/guardian(s) will be notified of the decision via U.S. mail.
· At the conclusion of the sixth grade year a student will be expected to return to his/her home school of attendance for middle school or refer to Board Policy JCB-AP1 for a secondary transfer.
For more elementary transfer information, please click here.
If you have questions about elementary school transfers, please call your child’s school principal.