Student Representatives to the Board
The Lee's Summit R-7 School District Board of Education values the voices of students and wishes to both encourage student involvement and promote a communications link between the board and students. The board believes that the views, insights and suggestions of student representatives can assist the board in making decisions about the district’s educational policies and programs. For more information, please see Board Policy JFBB.
Express interest by Dec. 15, 2023.
An application for Student Representatives opened on Nov. 17, 2023 and will remain open through Dec. 15, 2023.
A Board of Education committee will interview all interested students by Jan. 11, 2024 before selecting up to 8 students to serve as Student Representatives for the remainder of the 2023-24 school year.
Number and Source of Student Representatives
Up to eight student representatives, plus one alternate from each high school, may serve at any one time. Student representatives must attend one of the district’s high schools on a full-time basis, and no more than two from each high school, plus one alternate, shall serve at any given time.
Qualifications and Characteristics of Student Representatives
In selecting student representatives, the board shall apply the following criteria:
- Students must be juniors or seniors in one of the district’s high schools.
- Students must be in good standing and enrolled full time in the school they represent. For purposes of this policy, "good standing" shall mean eligibility for interscholastic athletics under the by-laws of the Misouri State High School Activities Association as then in effect.
- Students must be calm under pressure, exhibit thoughtfulness and the ability to articulately express their views.
- Students must commit to dedicating the time required to fulfill the duties of the position.
- Student representatives should represent a cross-section of students within the district, such that the board will not give undue weight to factors such as a high GPA or frequent participation in activities.
- Students must be accessible to other students in their building.
- Students must show a willingness to listen to students with diverse points of view, and an ability to synthesize those points of view into board updates or requests for board action.
Responsibilities of Student Representatives
Student representatives must commit to fulfilling the following responsibilities:
- Attend at least four regular board of education meetings each year (September, December, March, and May) to report to the board and answer questions posed by board members.
- Collect meaningful information from other students.
- Act as a liaison between students and the board, communicating student concerns to the board and reporting back to students on actions taken by the board that affect students.
- Provide honest, fair, and thoughtful feedback to the board on matters affecting students.
- Represent students during legislative events hosted by the district.
- Meet with other student representatives to discuss presentations to and requests from the board.
- Visit their high school’s feeder schools to gather information relevant to reports to or requests from the board if possible.
- Participate in the interview process for their successors.
- Assist with the orientation of new student representatives, including the development or revision of training aids.
- At their first meeting, choose a student representative from among the selected cohort to coordinate the student representatives’ activities.
- Alternates shall assume the responsibilities of a student representative from their school if the student representative resigns or is otherwise unable to fulfil their term.
Suggestions for Board Discussion or Action
By a 67% or greater vote of the student representatives, they may ask that the board place an item on the agenda of the following regular board meeting or board work session, either for discussion or action. This shall not be construed to require the board to act on such an item at the following board meeting, as the board may request additional information, table the matter pending further discussion, or otherwise treat it as it would any other item on the agenda.
Selection of Student Representatives
Student representatives shall be selected through the following process for the 2023–24 school year:
- Interested students shall apply by submitting an application form (developed by administration) by Dec. 15, 2023. Applications shall be submitted by that deadline to the secretary of the board.
- An ad hoc board committee, appointed by board leadership, shall interview all applicants no later than Jan. 11, 2024.
- The ad hoc board committee shall report its recommendations to the board, which shall vote to appoint the student representatives at the January 18, 2024, board meeting.
- The selected student representatives shall serve through the remainder of the 2023–24 academic year.
- Juniors who are selected to serve as student representatives must re-apply to be considered for the 2024–25 school year.
For subsequent school years, student responsibilities shall be selected through the following process:
- Interested students shall apply by submitting an application form (developed by administration) to the secretary of the board by April 15 to serve in the upcoming school year.
- An ad hoc board committee, appointed by board leadership, shall interview all applicants by April 30.
- The ad hoc board committee shall report its recommendations to the board, which shall vote to appoint the student representatives at the regular May meeting of the board.
- The selected student representatives shall serve for the upcoming school year.
- Juniors who are selected to serve as student representatives must re-apply to be considered for the following school year.